A watch solves couple of things:
- development of more efficient chips, sensors
- new kinds of user input - screen is too small to type on it
- glanceability - it will be used more as a passive source of information
- computing device being worn - people less anxious of having computer on themselves.
Glasses now will be felt like out of the blue, another thing too early. That is, probably, why Microsoft hasn’t unveiled Fortaleza yet. A Watch is supposed to pave a way for Glasses - and this is very elegant solution.
Glasses need totally different OS, with 3D UI out of the box, current solutions needs to be stripped down, or throw away - and this is great chance for new entrants (Apple Watch will have new operating system).
- new OS
- people not prepared for that kind of device.
And what is Japan doing? Japan companies have proper electronics technology, they have knowledge for new OS, and internal market prepared for out of the blue devices..(12 November, 2014)